ant-user mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <Tim.Ver...@macquarie.com.au>
Subject RE: build.xml and .inc file organization/structure
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 23:28:11 GMT

> I read the "recursive make considered harmful" 2-3 years ago
> when it first came out.  Aside from the philosophical points
> it makes I really don't see much in terms of applicability to
> the ant/javac world.*  And all of the performance jabs it
> takes at make needing to double compile, and how slow it is
> when reading in multiple .inc files, really are not
> applicable at all to us.

Well that's not entirely true.
Ant has the ability to be recursive, and AntCall is a bit ugly too.
It is possible to write a paper on "Recursive Ant considered harmful".

But, it's not the same as using multiple file fragments in a single project,
 and the Ant structure actually makes it easier (that make) to include
 multiple components in one build file, but without good "include" mechanisms,
 it's a PITA.

> I do know that the XML tools for including other files into
> .dtd/.xsd or even into .xml files all SUCK a lot and
> wondering what people use now.

XML Entities (ugh) and property files.
Property files are the big win. Everything in my generic ant-engine is configurable
 with properties, and you can set them in a property file.
Most people never need to touch XML to setup their build.