ant-user mailing list archives

From "Phillip Lord" <p.l...@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk>
Subject setting properties on a per user, per project basis
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:44:33 GMT

       Apologies for a second post in two days!

       Is it possible to set properties on a per user basis and
per project basis?

       I've now got ant up and running quite nicely, and have
written my first build file (which took me about 1/5 the time it took
me to get my first Makefile written, which is I think a positive
thing!).

       I want to write a buildfile which is nice and generic, so
at the beginning I have set up the following...

  <!-- Where to find the route directory of the source hierarchy -->
  <property name="src" value="../../../.."/>

  <!-- Where should the class files that are produced by put -->
  <property name="classes" value="${src}"/>

  <!-- Where should the distributable jar files be generated -->
  <property name="dist" value="${src}"/>

  <!-- Where are the additional jar files required for the compilation -->
  <property name="ext" value="${classes}/ext"/>

  <!-- Compile with debug on or not -->
  <property name="debug" value="off"/>

        This is fine, and will work as a build for my
distributable. The problem is that it does not really suit my file
system. So I have over-ridden these properties on the command
line. Currently I am launching ant with....

ant -emacs  -Dbuild.compiler=jikes  -Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true  -Dclasses=~/include/java
 -Dext=~/include/ext  -Ddist=~/scratch

        which is a bit of a mouthful, and I can tell that its only
going to get longer.

        The approach that I have taken to get around this is to
stick this...

<!--
 In this section I am defining the local variables that I use to
 customise the build process for my own nefarious ends.

 Local Variables: ***
 compile-command: ("ant -emacs \
 -Dbuild.compiler=jikes \
 -Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true \
 -Dclasses=~/include/java \
 -Dext=~/include/ext \
 -Ddist=~/scratch" ) ***
 End: ***
 -->

        at the bottom of my file, which works nicely when
launching the build from within emacs. But I don't really want this to
go in the buildfile I ship with my distributable.

        So what I would like is the ability to specify properties
in some file on a per project basis, where I can stick all of this
stuff. Preferably I would like to be able to still override these
properties with command line parameters (so I can switch between
jikes, and javac easily for instance).

        Is it possible to do this at the moment?

        Phil