ant-user mailing list archives

From "Bill Burton" <bi...@progress.com>
Subject Re: Seaparate command window
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:11:22 GMT
Hello,

See below ...

Tim Dawson wrote:

> With the hint from Bill Burton re: windows scripting host & Windows 2000, I
> was able to build a quick script that does indeed launch a separate command
> window.
>
> To avoid setting off any virus detectors that purge VBS attachments for
> messages, I'm including the script as inline text. Obviuosly, you'll need to
> cut between the "---" and save as "launch.vbs" somewhere in your path.
>
> ---
> Dim WSHShell,argCount,exeStr
>
> set WSHShell=WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> argCount=0
> exeStr="cmd /c"
>
> while argCount < wscript.arguments.count
>
>  exeStr = exeStr + " " + wscript.arguments(argCount)
>  argCount = argCount + 1
>
> wend
>
> WSHShell.run(exeStr)
> ---
>
> then using it is as simple (relatively speaking) as following this example:
>
> ---
>   <target name="startWLS">
>     <exec dir="${install.dir}" executable="cmd"
>           os="Windows 2000">
>       <arg value="/c"/>
>       <arg value="launch.vbs"/>
>       <arg value="start"/>
>       <arg value="startWebLogic.cmd"/>
>     </exec>
>   </target>
> ---
>
> Tim

Cool!  Thanks for sharing this.  Since the user can change the WSH
defaults, it would be better to invoke the wscript.exe executable
directly.  For instance:

  <target name="startWLS">
    <exec dir="${install.dir}" executable="wscript"
          os="Windows 2000">
      <arg value="//nologo"/>
      <arg value="launch.vbs"/>
      <arg value="start"/>
      <arg value="WebLogic Server"/> <!-- window title -->
      <arg value="startWebLogic.cmd"/>
    </exec>
  </target>

Also, this has the advantage that if it is run on a machine with no WSH
support installed, i.e. Windows NT or Windows 95, the nature of the
failure will be easier to determine.

-Bill