ant-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Jenny <>
Subject Re: Multiple classes in a single file (was: Re: Can someone tell me what is so great about Ant?)
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2001 08:02:01 GMT

"Richard S. Hall" wrote:
> Assume I have a public class called Public and it has exclusive access to a
> class called Exclusive.  My original thoughts were this, there are three ways to
> implement this:
>   1. In separate .java files.  This is bad because other classes can have access
>      to Exclusive.
>   2. As an inner class of Public.  This is bad because it provides "friend"
>      access to Exclusive on Public; this is actually worse in my opinion than
>      the first solution because it may lead to unintended coupling as the
>      classes evolve.
>   3. As separate a class in the same file as Public.  This is good because it
>      eliminates the "friend" problem and the compiler complains if anyone else
>      tries to access the Exclusive class.

Really? Does the compiler really complain if anyone else tries to access Exclusive?
Mine doesn't.
As far as I understand, putting 2 java classes into the same file or
putting them in 2 separate files has no influence whatsoever on scope
and access restrictions.
Inner classes though can be used to restrict access, like you said
further below.

Thomas Jenny
software architect
Starseed Enterprises AG, Zurich, Switzerland

View raw message