ant-user mailing list archives

From Glenn McAllister <gl...@somanetworks.com>
Subject Re: Problems with ZIP file: can't unzip Xalan distro created with Ant 1.2
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2001 14:59:59 GMT
Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com wrote:

>   /xml-xalan/java/build.xml
>     <zip zipfile="${build.dir}/${dist.file}.zip" basedir="${build.dir}"
> includes="${dist.file}/**"/>
>
> ..but users of a few particular zip programs can't unzip the files produced
> by this - they either get an error, or a directory tree full of 0-byte
> files.  Known unzip programs with problems include a certain version of
> WinZip 6.0x something, and the user of VisualZip32 below.  Is there some
> difference between how Ant creates zip files and any of the .zip file
> standards?  Or is this just a case of a couple popular zip programs not
> properly implementing something?

I ran into that problem before, where WinZip was doing silly things like
including files for empty directories in a zip that is was never supposed to
include.  The directories wouldn't show up when you looked at it from WinZip,
but they would with any other command line tool.  This really screwed up drops
to a build where only certain directories are allowed. :-)

There are a number of differences in how different vendors have implemented
zip.  WinZip 6.x had the biggest problems/differences that I have seen.  To
the best of my knowledge, the Java zip libraries implement the standard
(defacto or otherwise) zip algorithm.

Glenn McAllister