ant-user mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@richardhall.net>
Subject Re: Multiple classes in a single file (was: Re: Can someone tell me what is so great about Ant?)
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 13:45:09 GMT
Frank Endriss wrote:

> Given these facts, why not make those classes inner classes of class Foo
> ?
> If you would, everything would work, and from view of OO design it would
> be "nicer".

I think this is a matter of subjective opinion.  What did you do before java supported
inner classes?

> If you dont make them inner classes, they have package access, what you
> dont
> want and and dont need, as you describe above.

That is perhaps the best argument.

> However, you are right in doing what you do since javac compiles it.
> BUT: Not every compilable source is good source.

Gee, thanks for enlightening me.  I am forever indebted.

> Obviously it is javac. Ant calls javac telling it: compile Foo.java
> Javac does this, and produces parts of the expected results.
> Maybe there is some lack of definition what should happen if one .java
> produces more than one .class.
> This leads us back to the beginning: It is bad style to....

Blah, blah, blah.  Just because a tool works in some potentially bad and/or broken way,
does not mean that the style is bad.  That's like saying space characters are bad style
since MAKE prefers tabs.  Please be sanctimonious elsewhere.

-> richard