ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Can someone tell me what is so great about Ant?
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 01:53:03 GMT
At 12:36  7/2/01 +1100, Tim Vernum wrote:
>> I think depending on a build-engineer for building a project
>> is very bad. Every developer on the project should be able
>> to change the build file, this will eliminate a lot of work
>> for the so called build engineer, and really, we don't need
>> a build engineer if we are using Ant.
>
>I guess we disagree here.
>As much as people *say* they don't need build engineers, I've
> never seen a project that coped without one.

I have seen a few - not many - but quite a few with java and/or web-based
projects. I originally set up a build process using ant for a group of
content producers, graphic artists and templaters. These are the type of
people who believe javascript is programus arcarnus and you are a god if
you can do that. I wen't back to update the builds with latest alpha ant
jars - I can't even recognize what they have done to the system. They
reorganized it to suit changes they were making. Now do you think they
could possibly do this with make? (Also note they were on multiple platforms).

The same thing with java projects. After looking at templates I build most
engineers were able to quickly incorporate it ito their build process.

There are some things that are not nice in ant (most native code
generation, integration of multiple projects etc) however in Ant2.0 we hope
to address at least some of these issues.

>>  Passing a huge group of files to javac at once makes compilation
>> much faster.
>
>That is a valid point, but applies only when doing large recompiles.
>I'm willing to let the full compile take a long time if the incremental
> change is fast.
>I find that if I change one or two files and then rebuild, make is faster.

Yep - thats usually due to startup time of JVM. Ant2.0 will have an
incremental mode (ie hit enter to rebuild) that will alleviate this and
bring ant back as fastest.

Cheers,

Pete