ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ant task - property overrides
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2001 01:22:17 GMT
--- Juno Suk <jsuk@micromuse.com> wrote:
> The Ant task, called from a parent build.xml, will have all its
> properties overridden by the parent.

The <ant> task does allow you to set values for properties -- you just
need to do it explicitly (which admittedly, could get fairly cumbersome if
you have lots of properties you need to set).

> Isn't this counterintuitive? Shouldn't properties
> set within the subproject override its parent's properties?

It's been a topic of discussion for awhile. I think the main stumbling
block has been what to do about command-line defines.

> Is there a quick way to workaround this problem? I'm trying to automate
> build recursion through a hierarchy, but the fact that the parent
> property overrides its children's frustrates me.

The quickest way for now would be to pass the values explicitly in the
<ant> task, since that's already available.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)