ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Boersma <boer...@genomica.com>
Subject Re: Can someone tell me what is so great about Ant?
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 00:26:15 GMT
On Tuesday 06 February 2001 16:48, Tim wrote:

> GNUmake is faster on my celeron than ant is on my PIII.

And our experience is counter to yours--we were using GNU make on Linux and
Windows NT (via Cygwin and MKS Toolkit), and having switched to ANT 1.2, find
builds to take about 1/5 the time.  We are in an XP-Continuous Integration
environment, so build time is important.

> Sometimes platform-independance is a cost as well as a benefit

We have a heterogenous development environment, and it is a necessity.

> Writing makefiles that work is a complicated process, but I don't find
>  that writing ant files is much easier.

I consider myself a grizzled make veteran, but I am delighted at the
simplicity and utility of ANT and would not hesitate to use it again for a
Java-centric project.