ant-user mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Do not put ant.jar in ext directory
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:02:33 GMT
I'm moving this over from Jakarta-general because I think it is an
important point which could do with a wider audience.

The ext directory in the JRE is not for every jar you come across. It is
primarily used for JDK extensions. As such, there are some security
restrictions on what classes in the ext directory can do. In particular, it
appears that these classes can only load other classes which are in the
bootclasspath using Class.forname().

Ant is an application which can load arbitrary code, including the javac
compiler classes. It must not be put in the ext directory. Other
applications such as junit are in the same boat.

There is a bug report on sun
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4266452.html
about this issue which you can follow up.

I have put a note in the documentation about this issue.

BTW, I'm not assuming that this is necessarily Thomas' problem, but Randy's
explanation raised a wider issue which I wanted to reiterate.

Conor