ant-user mailing list archives

From James Bucanek <subscri...@gloaming.com>
Subject Stupid Windows question
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:24:30 GMT
OK, I freely admit that Windows is not my primary platform, nor my
platform of choice.

Never the less, I need to get Ant up and running and I'm running into
a really stupid problem with Java on Windows.

I have a dedicated machine, that I just installed Win98 and JDK 1.3.
Nothing else.

I have written a GUI wrapper around Ant and want to launch it to do
builds.  But whenever I do, I get a NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/tools/ant/BuildListener.

So, I assume that Java isn't finding the ant.jar classes.  If I put
the ant.jar file in the same directory, and specify it on the command
line (java -cp ant.jar -jar MyAntTool.jar) the program runs just fine.

But I want to put the ant.jar (and parser.jar, and jaxp.jar, and
myTasks.jar) somewhere common.  I've read the notes on class paths on
the java.sun.com site, and have tried (1) setting a CLASSPATH
environment variable to point to the directory, (2) placing the jars
in the \jdk1.3\jre\lib\ext, \jdk1.3\jre\lib, and \jdk1.3\lib
directories, (3) specified those directories in the java command
options, and (4) combinations of the above (restarting the entire OS
between configuration changes, of course).

Nothing works, unless my application and jars are in the same
directory and I explicitly specify all of the library jar on the
command line.  Am I missing something?  This can't be that hard!

P.S. How can you redirect the stderr output from a command to a file?

Thanks in advance for any insight,

James

James Bucanek
<mailto:privatereply@gloaming.com>