ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 'make -n' equivalent in Ant
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:46:29 GMT
Joshua Davis <jsd2000@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>From: Conor MacNeill [mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au]
>> It is not currently possible to emulate the build process with Ant.

> Is this because make has explicity dependencies, whereas in ANT the
> tasks decide at runtime?

This is part of the reason. yes.

Another part is that you had to tell a task to not do anything. A
"make -n" like functionality would affect all tasks and couldn't be
achieved by the Ant framework itself.

All Ant could do was to tell the user "I'd invoke task X with
attributes A,B,C" and so on - and this wouldn't even give the correct
results when if/unless conditions come into the game.

Consider

<target name="a">
  <mkdir dir="test" />
</target>

<target name="b">
  <available property="testprop" file="test" />
</target>

<target name="c" depends="a,b" if="testprop">
  <sometask />
</target>

Should "ant -n c" report that <sometask> will be invoked? How would it
know?

Stefan