ant-user mailing list archives

From Dan Christopherson <da...@danch.com>
Subject Re: getting result back from an <exec> task
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:18:47 GMT
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Bevan Arps wrote:

> Nico wrote
>
> > Can you tell us for what you would use this?
>
> One use: The Delphi compiler sets a result code based on whether the
> compilation worked or failed.
>
> At the moment I have to detect success/failure based on whether specific
> output files are created.
>
> Another use:
>
> I need to check that certain characteristics of the executables are
> consistent. For Delphi applications, I need to check the version number
> matches that of the build process run.
>
> If exec returned the error code, I could easily return a match/nomatch
> result to ANT from my checking exe.
>
> FYI:
> The standard for this (inherited all the way from CPM!) is zero for no
> error, any other number identifies the error found.
I thought that exec and execon already checked for this (the
'failonerror' attribute). Granted, I've not been able to get execon to
_work_, but i know it's in the code, so i've been blaming the vendor of
the tool i'm invoking.

--
Dan Christopherson (danch)
nVisia Technical Architect (www.nvisia.com)

Opinions expressed are mine and do not neccessarily reflect any
position or opinion of nVISIA.

If you're a capitalist and you have the best goods and they're
free, you don't have to proselytize, you just have to wait.
-Eben Moglen