ant-user mailing list archives

From Edwin.Guenth...@Compart.net
Subject Antwort: RE: Antwort: class file size difference between Ant script and JBuilder
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:45:14 GMT

hi,

SMD> FYI: I have seen incompatability problems between JBuilder-compiled
files
SMD> and Sun JDK-compiled files in the past. This has nothing to do with
ANT. I
SMD> have a client-server product using EJB. I ran into cases early last
year
SMD> where I had compiled the server with Sun JDK and deployed it for
client
SMD> developers who compiled using JBuilder's compiler. They then had
SMD> serialization errors with some classes that were being transferred
over the
SMD> wire. After tracking it down, we did see class file size differences.

But that is the way it has to be.
SUN says:  "Serialization will work if you keep on using the same JDK all
the time".

Thus Serialization is not a good idea if you can't ensure that
you are always using the exactly same environment.

Therefore I have a build-file for ANY project; since ANY project
will be compiled with javac for shipping to customers. It is hard enought
to keep track of different JDK versions - so I would recommened to
not mix compilers in a big project.

My rule of thumb is:

* JBuilder IDE compiler when working (coding, debugging)
* Jikes for simple test programs
* javac (1.3) when building a "shipping" version

bye,