ant-user mailing list archives

From "Joshua Davis" <jsd2...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject RE: 'make -n' equivalent in Ant
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 02:38:56 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
> Joshua Davis <jsd2000@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
> >From: Conor MacNeill [mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au]
> >> It is not currently possible to emulate the build process with Ant.
> > Is this because make has explicity dependencies, whereas in ANT the
> > tasks decide at runtime?

(did I really say 'explicitly dependencies'... eew!)

> This is part of the reason. yes.
>
> Another part is that you had to tell a task to not do anything. A
> "make -n" like functionality would affect all tasks and couldn't be
> achieved by the Ant framework itself.

Yep.  This would certainly make the framwork->task interface more complex.
I actually was looking around for this in the code when developing my first
task.

I suppose the only thing that 'ant -n' could do is list the potential
targets.  .. not all that usefull, I suppose.