ant-user mailing list archives

From Glenn McAllister <>
Subject Re: permissions in zip files
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:40:18 GMT
Mike Pedersen wrote:

> This is what I was afraid of.  Just out of curiosity, why does it only
> remove the executable attribute?  This makes it impossible to remove
> the directorys on solaris with out first resetting the permissions.
> Thanks for the feedback.

Well, Java doesn't know about an executable attribute.  Since it usses a
"lowest common denominator" idea of a file, it can only implement those
features that *all* operating systems know about.  All OS' have the
equivalent of read and write attributes.  Windows (for example) doesn't
have an executable attribute - thats determined by the file extension
(well, windows tries to start anything ending with .exe, and gives an
error if the file isn't in the correct format).

Does that clarify things?

Glenn McAllister

View raw message