ant-user mailing list archives

From Bevan Arps <bevan.a...@actfs.co.nz>
Subject Re: getting result back from an <exec> task
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:11:09 GMT

Dan Christopherson wrote:

> I thought that exec and execon already checked for this (the
> 'failonerror' attribute). Granted, I've not been able to get
> execon to _work_, but i know it's in the code, so i've been
> blaming the vendor of the tool i'm invoking.

They DO - but you only have the choice to abort the build or ignore the
value.

At the moment I can write this:

  <exec executable="C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi5\bin\dcc32"
        dir="${PackageDir}"
        output="C:\Source\Logs\${PackageName}.log"
        failonerror="Yes">
    <arg value="/CC"/>
    <arg value="${PackageName}.dpk"/>
  </exec>

The problem with this is that it aborts the build as soon as the first
application fails - I'd much prefer to attempt all the applications in a
build and log the ones that fail.

What I'd love to be able to write is something like this:

  <exec executable="C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi5\bin\dcc32"
        dir="${PackageDir}"
        output="C:\Source\Logs\${PackageName}.log"
        property="Build.OK">
    <arg value="/CC"/>
    <arg value="${PackageName}.dpk"/>
  </exec>

ie have the Exec task set a property if the compile works, and do
nothing if it fails.

Then I could use if="Build.OK" and unless="Build.OK" for appropriate
handling.

Cheers,
Bevan.

Bevan Arps, OO Analyst                    email: bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz
ACT Financial Systems     "Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"
This  communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views
and opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).