ant-user mailing list archives

From David Corbin <>
Subject Re: Parameterized "task-function"
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:13:27 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> At 08:18  11/1/01 -0500, David Corbin wrote:
> >Using this logic, we should all be riding around on stone wheels.  When
> >a tool is hard to use, or has particular downsides, that's the perfect
> >time to reinvent it.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for standards, and
> >I'm all for using existing tools, but there is nothing wrong with
> >replacing a stone-hammer with a rubber mallet if that's what the job
> >calls for.  In fact, I'd argue ANT wouldn't exist with the attitude you
> >presented here.
> Feel free to rewrite a simpler XSLT, write extensive documentation and
> document it then. It is free software community - if you want to reinvent
> the wheel you can. Personally I try to limit my reinvention to when it's
> needed thou YMMV.

I do try to limit my re-invention.  But, when the architecture is
fatally flawed, it can't just be re-written.  Maybe my understanding of
XSLT is the thing that's fatally flawed.  Let's return to the original
issue.  I asked about writing parameterized tasks (with a small
reference to includes).  You said, XSLT will handle that.  Can you show
me how?  Does it require a second file, or is it integral to the
build.xml file?

> Cheers,
> Pete

David Corbin