ant-user mailing list archives

From Brent Phillips <b...@lyrastudios.com>
Subject bugs in bootstrap.sh
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2001 23:54:31 GMT
Hi,

After much experimenting with trying to build Ant, it seems broken to my
Java amateur perspective. Have people had success building this thing?

First, in bootstrap.sh, the directory "classes" is not properly created. I
run bootstrap.sh (as root), and afterwards there is no classes
subdirectory. I have to edit bootstrap.sh to read

CLASSDIR = $ANT_HOME/classdir

or it is never created.

Next, there seem to be circular dependencies in the Java files.
bootstrap.sh builds the java in four commands. First is tools/tar/*.java,
which builds OK. Next is tools/ant/types, which causes problems. Adding
echoes for the compilation command executed yields:

javac -d classes src/main/org/apache/tools/tar/TarBuffer.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/tar/TarConstants.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/tar/TarEntry.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/tar/TarInputStream.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/tar/TarOutputStream.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/tar/TarUtils.java
First Compiles OK
javac -d classes src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/Commandline.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/CommandlineJava.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/DataType.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/EnumeratedAttribute.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/Environment.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/FileSet.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/Path.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/PatternSet.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/Reference.java
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/Commandline.java:1: error:Cannot find
type "org/apache/tools/ant/BuildException"

[plus a ton of other errors]

However, BuildException is not compiled until later. If I add an additional
line to compile it explicitly, after the /tar/*.java but before
/ant/types/*.java:

{$JAVAC} -d ${CLASSDIR} ${TOOLS}/ant/BuildException.java

then the compiler no longer complains about BuildException (but it does
complain about many other classes.) Is this a circular dependency? Or am I
missing something?

Please advise...this is driving me crazy!

thanks

Brent Phillips