ant-user mailing list archives

From Brent Phillips <b...@lyrastudios.com>
Subject persistent problems with Ant
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2001 20:47:16 GMT
Hi,

I'm having a terrible time trying to get Ant to work. (My ultimate goal is
to use Tomcat for Java servlets.) I've spent several days upgrading my
RedHat Linux system to the latest everything, but I still can't get ant to
compile or run. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm a
C++ veteran making the switch to Java, so please excuse my ignorance.

As recommended in the Blackdown j2sdk and the Ant docs, I've set:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdsdk
export ANT_HOME=$JAVA_HOME/jakarta-ant
export CLASSPATH=.:$JAVA_HOME/lib

Using the binary package and trying to run ant yields:

[lyra@grzzt local]$ ant
Couldn't find or load essential class `java/lang/Object'
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError java/lang/Object
/usr/local/jdsdk/jakarta-ant/bin/ant: line 70:  1443 Aborted
 $JAVACMD -classpath $LOCALCLASSPATH -Dant.home=${ANT_HOME} $ANT_OPTS
org.apache.tools.ant.Main $@

Trying to build ant yields:

lyra@grzzt jakarta-ant-src]# ./bootstrap.sh
... Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
... Compiling Ant Classes
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/Commandline.java:1: error:Cannot find
type "org/apache/tools/ant/BuildException"
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/CommandlineJava.java:1: error:Cannot
find type "org/apache/tools/ant/Project"
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/DataType.java:1: error:Cannot find type
"org/apache/tools/ant/BuildException"
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/EnumeratedAttribute.java:1:
error:Cannot find type "org/apache/tools/ant/BuildException"
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/Environment.java:1: error:Cannot find
type "org/apache/tools/ant/BuildException"
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/FileSet.java:1: error:Cannot find type
"org/apache/tools/ant/BuildException"

(lots of other errors deleted)

thanks in advance for your attention

Brent Phillips