ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jason Rosenberg" <ja...@squaretrade.com>
Subject Re: Parameterized "task-function"
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2001 07:21:50 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Duncan Davidson" <duncan@x180.net>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2001 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: Parameterized "task-function"

> On 1/10/01 10:48 PM, "Jason Rosenberg" <jason@squaretrade.com> wrote:
>
> > Right on!   Be vocal about this, because the Ant powers that
> > be don't seem interested in providing the needed functionality
> > to do what you are asking.  I have been getting around it by
> > using the <script> task and using javascript, etc.
> >
> > Ant is a scripting language!  Right On!
>
> Ant is not a scripting language. Saying it a few thousand times won't make
> it so. If you want to build a build system around a scripting language (my
> suggestion: JavaScript using the Rhino engine), then by all means do it.
> Scratch your itch. But don't keep trying to make Ant something it is not.

I didn't really want to design a build system based on JavaScript using
Rhino, but was left with no choice but to do so.  But I did so
within Ant!

If Ant is a complete model, I suggest you get rid of the <script> task
altogether, and use other means to satisfy the demand for what <script>
provides.   Otherwise, I don't think you can safely argue this issue
from any sort of purist's standpoint.  You may even conclude that what
<script> provides should not even be attempted, in which case you have
even more reason to remove <script>.

Ant is just short of about 2 or 3 procedural tasks, and it will really
be ideal.  It is so close and so intuitive, for which you should be
proud.  I have no interest in dropping it and doing something else.

What I want is Ant without:

<script>
<antcall>
<!ENTITY>
XSLT

and Ant with:

<execute-task>
<if/else>
<while>
<include>
and the new features promised for Ant2.0 (resettable properties!)

I'll probably end up doing these tasks myself, which is easy enough,
but I have to believe they should be included in the builtin tasks.

I'm a believer in Ant, it is what I want.  I apologize if it irks you and
the other creators to see your hard-worked blasphemed in such
a way, but sometimes as creators you have set your creation free.

Jason