ant-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Cuilla" <chris.cui...@cuilla.com>
Subject Re: junit GUI option
Date Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:28:18 GMT
> > Has anyone thought that having the option of the junit task invoking the
> > GUI version of TestRunner would be nice?
>
> I'm not sure it would have a sense in this case.
> To me, the JUnit task should mostly be integrated with the build, thus this
> is not something that should be run in a gui, but in a command line. No user
> interaction should be needed.
>
> Note, that I don't completely disagree nor that I completely agree.
> There are times where it could be nice to have it, but it is all a matter of
> displaying the information correctly. Right now results are not aggregated
> thus makes it a PITA to browse into all of them. (I'm working on it but
> don't want to break too many existing things and I have to consider
> enhancements that are in the todo list of JUnit 3.5+).

My thoughts here are primarily for when I am using Ant in a somewhat
"interactive" manner. I use Ant to do everything (make sure everything is built
and then run tests) during development. Since the JUnit UI nicely presents any
errors or failures, it would be nice for it to "pop up" for the tests.

Now, during an automated build process, I completely agree with you. To me the
"gui" approach should be optional (and not default).

That's my 2 cents.

Chris