ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: if, unless problems
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:00:26 GMT
Gunnar Boström <Gunnar.N.Bostrom@telia.se> wrote:

> I understand your explanation but I think the "concept" is difficult
> to understand. In all(most?) other situations in ant it is the value
> of the property that is interesting not its existens.

Hmm, the if/unless attributes have been invented to play together with
<available>. This is not saying it must be that way, merely explaining
why it has been implemented like it is. The build files for my own
project would not benefit from testing the value of a property.

If you wanted to do that, you'd probably need more control than "the
value is true or false", you'd want to test for a specific
value. You'd need an equality operator inside the if/unless
attributes, which has been ruled out several times as it pushes Ant
further onto the road to a scripting language.

Stefan