ant-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Todd" <ch...@christophertodd.com>
Subject RE: Could you please?
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2000 20:01:40 GMT
This request makes me wonder whether it might be worth it to create some
sort of build file 'repository' or 'library' (in the public library sense,
rather than the programming sense).  While the Ant docs are really good
(IMHO), particularly for an open source project, it sometimes helps newbies
to see examples of entire build files.

I still consider myself an Ant newbie, and I've learned a lot from reading
other peoples' build files, particularly other OSS projects (e.g. JDOM,
Castor, Ant, Tomcat, practically any java-related apache project, etc.).
Seeing how an entire build file is put together is something that is hard to
get from the docs, which present each task on its own and independent of all
other tasks.  Not only am I an Ant newbie, but also a general
Java/programming newbie, and I've learned a lot about how to organize a
software project from examining build files (the 'Developing Web
Applications with Tomcat' doc that comes with Tomcat was also good in that
regard).

As I work more and more with Ant, I am beginning to see build-related design
patterns.  Perhaps we could somewhow catalog those Ant-related
design/usage/style patterns?  Just a thought.

Sincerest regards,
Chris Todd
Software Engineer
Alabanza Corporation