ant-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Murphy <nathan.mur...@zucotto.com>
Subject Dependancies in the javac task
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 20:00:10 GMT
Scanning through the source code of the Javac ant task, I see the scanDir
function that makes use of timestamp dependancies.  What I don't seem to
find is compilation do to interfile dependancies.

i.e.

	Class a creates an instance of class b.
	The developer changes the constructor for b.
	The user makes their load but does not remove all the old class
files:
		Javac ant task checks timestamp dependancies and seeing
b.java newer then b.class, recompiles b.class.
		However, the timestamp of a.java and a.class are unchanged
so a.class is not recompiled.
		No compilation time errors are produced.
	The user now runs the main function of their java class and gets a
runtime error.

It is more desirable to have the error occur in compilation time, or rather
have the dependancies be on interfile, not just timestamp.  Is there plans
for such development?  If not, is there any ideas or suggestions on how to
expand the Javac ant task?

--
Zucotto Wireless Inc.
Nathan Murphy, B.Eng Electrical