ant-user mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: More generic form of uptodate - was: IDL compilation with ant -> problem?
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:23:01 GMT
On 12/29/00 2:50 PM, "Marvin Greenberg" <MGreenberg@Eidea.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping someone on the core Ant development team sees some validity to the
> more general uptodate. It also doesn't give IDL file level granularity -- I
> wrote a mapper that did some similar things, but since I would then also have
> to write a separate idltojava Task to use the mapper, it seemed not worth the
> effort.

Currently Ant at core doesn't have the notion of update -- just Tasks to be
executed and all Tasks determine their own destiny. However, it's pretty
clear that a library of functionality could be made available to Task
writers to simplify things. Something along the lines of creating an
internal set of files (mapped original-->derived), letting the library do
some fancy MD5 hashing -- and then being able to come back to that on a
later run and get a list of files that are out of date. The question is how
is the best way to expose that functionality.

Right now, it's just thoughts that are going around on the dev list, but...

.duncan

                                                                  !try; do()