ant-user mailing list archives

From Douglas Melzer <Douglas.Mel...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Thinking about Source Control
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:35:58 GMT
I'd prefer to have an implementation that fully addresses a particular SCM tool's capabilities.

My project has just switched from Visual Source Safe to a proprietary SCM tool and it wasn't
that big of deal to update my ant build configuration.

My experience is that most companies adopt a particular SCM tool, so I believe greater emphasis
should be placed upon fully supporting an SCM tool's capabilities as opposed to trying to
identify the common features.

While some common terms for checkin, checkout, etc. could be identified many of the command
options are going to vary with the particular SCM tool. Having these options retain the naming
conventions of the particular SCM tool will make it much easier to refer back to SCM tool
documentation when necessary.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Corbin [mailto:dcorbin@machturtle.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2000 10:02 AM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Thinking about Source Control

How do people want to use source control from within ANT.  I can think
of several ways, and some are very "bad" and others perhaps not.  While
it might not be possible to unify all SCMs, perhaps if we discover what
it is people are trying to achieve, a common subset can be found.
--
David Corbin
Mach Turtle Technologies, Inc.