ant-user mailing list archives

From David Corbin <dcor...@machturtle.com>
Subject Re: Thinking about Source Control
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:52:03 GMT
Scott Ganyo wrote:

> I use StarTeam and here's how I would like to integrate SCM with the build
> process (I just haven't gotten around to it yet):
>
> 1) Create an SCM label for the build.
> 2) Check out project source at the label made in #1.

What if your checkout changes your build.xml?

> 3) Build project.
> 4) Check in a .war file.
> 5) Attach .war file to previously created label.

Ick!  While I won't say I NEVER violate this rule, the S in SCM stands
for "source".  I don't like to put anything that is generatable into
source control.

> 6) Promote label to next Promotion level.
>
> Scott
>
> P.S. Why have you regretted the integration of the two?

It has usually turned out to be a real headache to get it to work
correctly (see above (2)).  Also, in the circumstance you describe, I'm
working on a specific/known system (i.e., the source hasn't been
distributed).  In that case, I'd just make script of some type that does
the steps you're looking for, as Ant's platform independence isn't
necessary.