ant-user mailing list archives

From David Corbin <dcor...@machturtle.com>
Subject Re: Thinking about Source Control
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:40:28 GMT
Fair enough.  But I'm still curious what people want to do with SCM, in
the build system.  Every time I've tried to integrate the two, I've
regretted it.

Douglas Melzer wrote:

> I'd prefer to have an implementation that fully addresses a particular SCM tool's capabilities.
>
> My project has just switched from Visual Source Safe to a proprietary SCM tool and it
wasn't that big of deal to update my ant build configuration.

> My experience is that most companies adopt a particular SCM tool, so I believe greater
emphasis should be placed upon fully supporting an SCM tool's capabilities as opposed to trying
to identify the common features.

> While some common terms for checkin, checkout, etc. could be identified many of the command
options are going to vary with the particular SCM tool. Having these options retain the naming
conventions of the particular SCM tool will make it much easier to refer back to SCM tool
documentation when necessary.