ant-user mailing list archives

From Nicholas Christopher <...@flashcom.net>
Subject Re: RMIC dependency
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 15:15:12 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Nicholas Christopher <nwc@flashcom.net> wrote:
>
> > What I found was that javac/jikes was touching the .class files
> > every time.  For example:
> >
> > $ ls *.java
> > Foo.java
> > $ javac *.java
> > $ # wait 10 minuites - do nothing to Foo.java
> > $ javac *.java
> >
> > Foo.class will have the newer timestamp.
>
> Sure, javac has compiled it again, so what would you expect? While
> Ant's <javac> task will only recompile files that have changed,
> command line javac does not perform a similar check AFAIK.
>
> Stefan

The way I'm used to seeing things done is to first javac everything that might
need it and then to rmic things. If javac restamps everything it's not clear how
rmic can know when things are unchanged.  I'd assumed that things had to be
handled properly upstream and to facilitate that javac/jikes would not rebuild
what didn't need it. Naive I guess.