ant-user mailing list archives

From Nicholas Christopher <...@flashcom.net>
Subject Re: RMIC dependency
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 13:59:34 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> >> Could be. There have been some changes to Rmic after the 1.1
> >> release, maybe one of them fixed the behavior you have seen.
> >
> > Unfortunately, not the solution...  Is the easiest way to write my
> > own task that does a timestamp comparison?
>
> No! Sorry, didn't want to shout.
>
> The best - though maybe not easiest - you can do, is to find out why
> it doesn't work (if you look at the code you'll see it *does* perform
> timestamp comparisons).
>
> I've never used rmic myself, if you could provide me with a simple
> test environment (a couple of source/class files and a build file)
> that shows this behavior, I'd be happy to help you nail down and fix
> the bug.
>
> But I'll need your help here as I don't really know how to set up an
> environment like this.
>
> Stefan

I've had the same problem. What I found was that javac/jikes was touching the
.class files every time.  For example:

$ ls *.java
Foo.java
$ javac *.java
$ # wait 10 minuites - do nothing to Foo.java
$ javac *.java

Foo.class will have the newer timestamp.  This is on Linux and javac and jikes
both do it.  So since the .class is always touched rmic always builds.  That's
my bet.
#wait ten minutes