ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: Standard extensions masked by ant?
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2000 07:54:23 GMT
At 02:42  9/12/00 -0800, Sean Kelly wrote:
>% cat build.xml
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
><project name="jbuttons" default="compile" basedir=".">
>  <target name="compile">
>    <javac srcdir="."/>
>  </target>
>% ant
>    [javac] symbol  : class SerialPort
>    [javac] location: pacakge comm
>Adding the extdirs attribute to the javac tag and pointing it to
>$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext doesn't help.  But explicitly listing comm.jar
>in the classpath attribute does work.
>Why are standard extensions "suppressed" in this way?  I checked the
>FAQ and gave a cursory search of the user archives and didn't find

Extdirs is a compiler specific thing (Looks like you are using jikes). Some
compilers completely ignore it while others use it. I would *highly*
suggest that you do not use ext at all. Most people who use it end up going
through the java equivelent of dll-hell. Just place the library in a well
known place and link to it. It will make it a lot easier overtime.