ant-user mailing list archives

From Curtis White <soar...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Thinking about Source Control
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:59:55 GMT
I agree that it would be nice to have some SCM tools
fully implemented. But some, such as ClearCase, are so
extensive, it would require a completely separate
project in order to get it all implemented. Many of
the commands are used primarily for admin purposes
only and are very rarely ever used. It would be hard
to justify the time it would take to implement those
commands.

I agree with Conor in that the various SCM tools are
so different that it would be very difficult to find
enough common functionality to allow for a single
interface. But I think there could be some consistency
in the way they handle files (fileset, patternset),
attribute names, and anything else that might be
similar between them.

I believe the way other tools handle the multiple
products is by implementing a subset of features that
they all support. But this usually ends up being the
least common denominator of the complete feature list.
Most people choose a particular SCM tool for its
functionality outside the standard check-in, check-out
and update functions.

Still, it sure would be nice to find some better way
to do it.

Curtis