ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: failure to re-build dependent targets ??
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:29:39 GMT
Hi John,

The "depends" attribute on a <target> doesn't associate a dependency
between a source-file and its object -- it associates a dependency on the
between a .java file and its .class file.

In your case, if you just have a couple of .java files in your base
directory, which get built into that same directory, you would just need
(target's name can be anything):

  <target name="compile">
    <javac srcdir="${basedir}" destdir="${basedir}"/>
  </target>

The <javac> task will include both "srcdir" and "destdir" in the
compile-time classspath, and, unless otherwise specified, will pick up all
.java files in "srcdir". Note: If "basedir" is the top-level dir of a tree
with other .java files in it, though, then you will need to be more
specific as to which files to include, since (I believe) it will recurse
through "srcdir", looking for .java files (to only include the .java files
that live in "basedir" itself, include the "includes" attribute:
includes="*.java"

Hope this helps,
Diane

=====