ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Why can't <delete> just simply delete the directory?
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:55:27 GMT
--- James Duncan Davidson <duncan@x180.net> wrote:
> There's no equivalent to 'rm -rf' in the java.io.File class -- so
> chasing the tree down and nuking all files, then all directories,
> back to the parent is the only way to do it.

Actually, that's what 'rm -rf' does -- if you tried to 'rmdir foodir'
before you got rid of everything under it, it'd bark at you that foodir
wasn't empty -- "just removing the directory without removing all the
files first" isn't something you can do on any OS that I know of -- you'd
end up with all those files still chewin' up disk-space for no good
reason, since it wouldn't reuse that space until it knew it could, and
just deleting the parent directory wouldn't be enuf to tell it that, which
is why it's not going to let you do that (at the user-level anyway -- you
could probably do some weird system-call stuff to make that happen, but
why would you ever want to? -- that would be Bad).

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)