ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Javac dependency checking
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:51:14 GMT
--- James Duncan Davidson <duncan@x180.net> wrote:
> On 12/6/00 1:20 AM, "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Because this has been ruled out back in May/June on ant-dev. Something
> > along the lines of "I don't need it as I use jikes and doing a clean
> > build is faster than having an explicit dependency tracker".
>
> That assumes that it can't be turned off. But if there is an attribute
> that
> allows it to be turned off for people who don't want it (or is
> effectively
> ignored if compilertype="jikes"), then it's not an issue, no?

Note: It should not be assumed that anyone who uses jikes just always
cleans out all their classfiles and recompiles everything. I use jikes,
but I do as-needed recompiles because, for me, a full recompile of all the
classfiles can take anywhere from around 3min. to around 5min. on a slow
machine. (I can't just hand off all my source-files to the compiler at
once, because I have different classpaths for different files, so my build
is divvied up into lots and lots and lots of <javac> tasks.)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)