ant-user mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cognet.com.au>
Subject Re: Tar lost file permissions. Anyone know how to maintain file permission?
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:54:27 GMT
From: "M Y" <meng07@yahoo.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 5:37 AM
Subject: RE: Tar lost file permissions. Anyone know how to maintain file
permission?

The File permission model is very different from OS to OS. It is therefore,
not something that is exposed through the Java APIs, beyond simple concepts
such as whether a file is readable or writable. Since Java doesn't provide
that info, it is difficult to know the best way to provide it. Let us say
you are building a tar file on a Win98 box. How do you want to specify the
file permissions in this case?

Now let me be explicit for you. Until such time as someone contributes code
to allow ant to manage the file permissions in tar files, it will not do
so.

Cheers
Conor