ant-user mailing list archives

From "Sean Kelly" <ke...@ad1440.net>
Subject Standard extensions masked by ant?
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:42:05 GMT
Hi folks:

I'm using Java 1.3 with Ant 1.2.

I'm building some software that uses the Java COMM API, javax.comm.
I've installed Sun's COMM API in the standard extension directory by
putting comm.jar in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext and verified that it's
there and being referenced:

% mv $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext/comm.{jar,off}
% javap javax.comm.SerialPort
Class 'javax.comm.SerialPort' not found
% mv $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext/comm.{off,jar}
% javap javax.comm.SerialPort
Compiled from SerialPort.java
public abstract class javax.comm.SerialPort extends javax.comm.CommPort {

I can hand-compile a file that uses this class OK:

% javac Serial1WireLineDriver.java
% rm Serial1WireLineDriver.class

But with ant, no:

% cat build.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project name="jbuttons" default="compile" basedir=".">
  <target name="compile">
    <javac srcdir="."/>
  </target>
</project>
% ant
    [javac] symbol  : class SerialPort
    [javac] location: pacakge comm

Adding the extdirs attribute to the javac tag and pointing it to
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext doesn't help.  But explicitly listing comm.jar
in the classpath attribute does work.

Why are standard extensions "suppressed" in this way?  I checked the
FAQ and gave a cursory search of the user archives and didn't find
answer.

Thanks.
--Sean

--