ant-user mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <>
Subject Re: Multiple builds and failures
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:46:02 GMT

Ant's general philosohpy to date has been to fail quickly. If there is some
problem, Ant does not try to limp along. You fix it and build again. If you
want that changed, it would be best to get involved in the Ant-Dev
discussions about Ant's future direction.

> From: <>
> To: <>
> It appears, however, that a single error in one subdirectory halts the
> build.  I'm assuming that this is due to the fact that ant slurps up all
> data in all the build.xml files and tries to execute everything in one
> swoop with a single JVM.  So the question is, short of using <java />
with the
> 'fork' attribute to perform each separate build, is there any way to get
ant to
> continue building regardless of errors it may encounter?

Your assumption is not quite right. the builds are run relatively
independently, but within the same VM. Ant, however, takes into account the
results from a sub-build and propagates any build exceptions to the parent
build, halting it too.

View raw message