ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: subject line vote
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 13:55:39 GMT
I've been told that my vote is void unless I give a rationale for it
(thanks Conor).

OK, A prefix on the subject line

1) Is unnecessary as there are several ways to filter in almost any
MUA that don't require rewriting the subject line.

2) Violates RFCs

3) Is bad style

4) leads to

[ant-user] SV: [ant-user] AW: [ant-user] Re: original subject

because no mailing list managment software is smart enough to cope
with all ways MUAs say they reply to something ("Re:" is the RFC
choice but each nationalized version of MS products has its own prefix
- with different capitalization depending on version or users taste or
the phase of the moon ...)

5) breaks threading as long as MUAs don't use the References-Header
for mails as well.

So I repeat

-1

Stefan Bodewig