ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: ant breaking w/ lots of files?
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2000 08:26:12 GMT
>>>>> "r" == robert  <robert@elastica.com> writes:

 r> On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Armstrong, Robert wrote:

 >> I compile them all in one fell swoop to avoid untangling
 >> all the dependencies.

 r> How do you do this with the Javac task?
 r> Doesn't it compile each one separately?

No, this is what javac does anyway. It passes all files to compile to
javac (or jikes or jvc) at once. This is what makes Ant that much
faster than make (unless your project is so small that the build time
is dominated by startup time).

 >> Ant/Java somehow fails to load in all of my packages/classes and
 >> even though the package directory structure is correct it fails to
 >> find several packages which causes the whole build to fail.

Robert (Armstrong in this case) could you send a snippet of your
buildfile and the result of ant -debug?

 >> Has anyone else experienced this sort of behavior? Is there a
 >> hardcoded limitation within Ant for the number of files it can
 >> compile at once?

 r> I seriously doubt it.

So do I.

We've had people telling us (on ant-dev) they are compiling 2000+
files in one pass, so it should work. One problem I can think of is
the JVM running out of memory (but it should tell you instead of
failing silently).

Stefan