ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cannot use classic compiler, as it is not available
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:54:50 GMT
Joe Faith <faith@runtime-collective.com> wrote:

> I keep getting the error message
>
>     Cannot use classic compiler, as it is not available
>
> when trying to compile Java classes with ant.
> Javac works fine from the (Debian Linux) command line.
>
> I've checked that PATH includes javac, and that CLASSPATH includes
> tools.jar.

Usually it is the missing tools.jar, but as you've already checked
this ...

Put the following right in front of your javac task:

<echo message="${java.class.path}" />

This will give you the CLASSPATH Ant has been invoked with. See if
tools.jar is there and no typo occurred.

The easiest way to ensure that Ant will pick up tools.jar is setting
JAVA_HOME correctly and invoke Ant via its ant shell script BTW, no
need to put tools.jar in your CLASSPATH manually.

Stefan