ant-user mailing list archives

From Luke Taylor <>
Subject Re: broken build problem with relative path to ant.jar
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:25:40 GMT

Thanks for your speedy response.

Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Luke Taylor <> wrote:
> > So it seems to be trying to make use of the classpath use to run
> > ant, and tring to resolve it relative to the basedir,
> yes, that is exactly what is happening. The content of java.class.path
> is appended to the CLASSPATH that javac is invoked with.

Is this the case even when using the "classpath" argument with javac
(which the build file does) ?
> Ant doesn't really see that you've specified this path outside the
> build file and Ant now always interprets a relative path as being
> relative to the project's basedir. Wherever it finds one.
> > Any suggestions on what might be causing this and how I can get it
> > to work?
> Not using relative paths in your scripts that invoke Ant?
> I don't know whether this is an option for you. Maybe set an
> environment variable that points to the directory containing the jar
> files and use ${BASE}/javac.jar in the CLASSPATH?

It's not a big deal 'cos it works fine if you have ant installed on
your machine and just run it directly. But it is nice for people who
don't know anything about ant to be able to download a set of files
from an open source project and do a complete build just by running the
script and without having to set any variables or paths specific to
their own machine. I suppose an alternative would be to use the windows
equivalent of "pwd" in the script and use that to set the classpath,
but I don't know enough about windows scripting (apart from the fact
that it's pretty lousy).

 Luke Taylor.
 PGP Key ID: 0x57E9523C

View raw message