ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Truncated filenames?!?
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 23:00:21 GMT
At 04:43  9/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I've got a task in our cvs build script that replicates the entire cvs
>tree and tars it up (nightly snapshot stuff).  I'm getting really weird
>results with it though.  Here's a small example of what it looks like
>when I *untar* the archive (with gnu tar):
...snip...
>File names are getting truncated at 100 characters!  This truncating
>does not occur in the copy when I move things over to the BlueBird-0.2
>directory, only on the tar (the .zip version I build is fine as well).
>Is there a workaround?  Or is the java tar code broken?

The problem is that the POSIX standard only allows 100 chars in the
filenames stored in tar. GNU tar of course ignores this and can store
longer filenames br breaking the standard but the java code does not do
this. This has bit me a few times and I would love to see a "emulate GNU
tar" option but never been motivated enough to do it ;) The source code is
in ant so feel free to have a hack ;)

Cheers,

Pete