ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ventimiglia, David" <David.Ventimig...@msdw.com>
Subject RE: Version question
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2000 17:39:19 GMT
Chris,

If you're concerned about stability, use Ant 1.2, and check it into source
control along with everything else.  That way you can "play" with later
versions of Ant in branches without threatening the stability of your build.
When you're ready to move to a new version of Ant (maybe 1.3 by then!
*grin*), just rev the version of Ant in source control in sync with whatever
changes you need to make to your build files, and treat it as part of a
release.

Cheers,
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Patti [mailto:cpatti@atg.com]
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 8:25 AM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Version question

Hi guys;

My organization is seriously thinking about using Ant as our new build
system.

I'm still by far in the R&D phase, and am concerned that if I use the
currently released version that by the time we deploy the architecture will
have changed significantly (e.g. watching the mail about the new task
system etc)

Should I be playing with a development release? PLEASE note 'play' I won't
be deploying this or using it in production at all, so I can cope with bugs
etc.

If so what should I grab and from where?

Thanks very much.

-Chris
(P.S. I realize to a certain extent that "If you have to ask, use the
released version" but it's too important to risk guessing :)
(P.P.S. WRT my earlier post about jmake, I was wrong, jmake also does
dependency checking so I guess I'll just have to exec it fron Ant)