ant-user mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <martin.coo...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject Re: Conditional chmod
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:05:10 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>

> >Of course, calling the task 'chmod' in the first place does indicate a
> >strong bias towards a certain OS on the part of the Ant developers, which
> >seems more than a little inappropriate in a tool which purports to be OS
> >independent...
>
> Well considering it is only relevent on one particular OS don't you think
> it would be a little stupid to invent a different name for what everyone
is
> familiar with ?

The point I am trying to make is that changing file permissions is *not*
only relevant on one particular OS. Certainly, the way that the chmod
command works, and the way its parameters are specified, is specific to Unix
and its variants. Changing file permissions, however, is applicable to many
OSs, Windows included.

So why would Ant, an OS-independent build tool, ignore that fact, and
implement it only for Unix and its variants, to the exclusion of other OSs?

--
Martin Cooper
Tumbleweed Communications