ant-user mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <Nico.Sees...@epost.de>
Subject Re: Conditional chmod
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:50:12 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Cooper" <martin.cooper@tumbleweed.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: Conditional chmod

> The point I am trying to make is that changing file permissions is *not*
> only relevant on one particular OS. Certainly, the way that the chmod
> command works, and the way its parameters are specified, is specific to
Unix
> and its variants. Changing file permissions, however, is applicable to
many
> OSs, Windows included.
>
> So why would Ant, an OS-independent build tool, ignore that fact, and
> implement it only for Unix and its variants, to the exclusion of other
OSs?

If you can tell me (us) how to set file-permissions on Windows from Java it
could be implemented. And I would really like to have a method to see
file-permissions on Windows Servers (without ant, just using the
command-line :-))

An "chmod 000" with MKS Toolkit on Win 2K just sets the readonly-flag for
me, so I think this is really useless...  and man chmod states:

r   Read permission.  If  this is off, you cannot read the file.  The FAT,
    extended FAT, HPFS, and NTFS file systems ignore this permission since
    all files are always readable.

which is wrong, since it is possible to revoke read-access thru clicking
around :-) (And if I revoke *all* rights thru Windows UI ls -l still shows
"-r-xr-xr-a"...)

Nico