ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: local properties
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:23:53 GMT

 MD> I think I remember reading somewhere on the list that the
 MD> developer(s) of ant prefer to have one huge build file.

At least one, me, yes. I'm not sure about the rest of the team. This
is a matter of taste and I'm not doing anything to prevent people from
using hierarchical builds, at least I don't intend to do so.

 MD> I'd prefer to see continuing support for hierarchical builds.

We've started to discuss the directions we want to take with Ant 1.3
and Ant 2.0 on ant-dev. The way properties propagate from parent build
files to sub projects is one of the issues.

 MD> For example, is it a bug or is it intentional that the basedir
 MD> property always refers to the directory containing the top level
 MD> build file?

I thought basedir would be the one and only exception to the rule that
parent project's properties are carved into stone. In Ant 1.2
${basedir} will always expand to the "current" project's basedir, at
least it does for me.

Stefan