ant-user mailing list archives

From Jon Schewe <jpsch...@eggplant.mtu.net>
Subject Re: licensing (was: Ant gui tool)
Date Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:35:21 GMT
Peter Donald <donaldp@mad.scientist.com> writes:

> >I have been mailing licensing@gnu.org, and have been frustrated at their
> >continual requests that I clarify myself when asking very simple questions
> >(that they certainly get everyday.)  Actually, I'm shifting the blame to
> >me; their words are that no conflict exists.
>
> can you post the emails or get permission to post them ? When other people
> have emailed them (such as Brian guy who runs apache and other people who I
> have asked to email them) the response has been negative. Generally they go
> straight to RMS thou so .... not sure. Thou GNU generally falls to RMSs
> opinions in long runs ...

Here's a positive such email I got:
-- start copy --
Jon Schewe wrote:

> I'm working on writing a java preprocessor and would like to use two
> libraries that are licensed under LGPL in the program.  I also would like
> to release my software under the APL(Apache Public License).  Part of the
> reason for this is that I want to be able to create extra modules that for
> an application that licensed under APL that use my application.  Is this
> legal under the terms of LGPL?  Or do I need to use other libraries?  I
> have read the LGPL and it appears that I can do this,

If your software is a "work that uses the LGPL'ed libraries", than the LGPL
permits linking your APL'ed code with it, as long as you obey the terms of
the LGPL (e.g., by including the source of all LGPL'ed libraries in your
distribution).

BTW, I hope that you will choose to release your software under a dual
license, such as (LGPL|APL).

I ask this because the APL is incompatible with the GPL, and if someone
wants to use your software in a GPL'ed program, they would not be permitted
to do so if you released it solely under the APL.

--- end copy ---

--
Jon Schewe | http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe