ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: ANT vs ODE
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:16:04 GMT
I don't know ODE at all, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

If you want to replace make with Ant completely, I have to admit, it's
not up for the job yet because it doesn't support other programming
languages than Java very well - there is no builtin support for C/C++
at all so you'd have to encode everything into <uptodate> (Ant 1.2
that is) and <exec> tasks and probably end up with something difficult
to maintain and slow.

I'd recommend using Ant for the Java part of your project though -
usually <javac> is a lot faster than compiling the files separately
and it even works when you encounter circular dependencies - unlike
make.

Stefan